Physical activity as a miracle drug
Physical activity plays a significant role in the prevention, management and treatment of long-term health conditions. GM Active has established programmes across the region that encourage people to get physically active, helping them to more effectively manage long-term health conditions.
‘The potential benefits of physical activity to health are huge. If medication existed which had a similar effect, it would be regarded as a wonder drug or miracle cure’ Chief Medical Officers Report.
We run health and well-being programmes for adults of all ages, including programmes focusing on improving strength and balance for older adults, and programmes targeted at people with specific long term conditions including dementia, heart disease and diabetes.
Each programme has been developed in-line with national and international medical guidelines and are:
- Inclusive and welcoming, with a supportive group environment
- Accessed by people who are inactive, or those at risk of developing a long term medical condition
- Tailored to individuals, allowing them to achieve long-term health and fitness goals through a personalised exercise programme
- Able to offer ongoing professional support, allowing participants to achieve and sustain physical active
- Provide support beyond the programme, allowing participants to access a range of activities that are enjoyable, accessible and convenient
We cover the entire Greater Manchester region, allowing people to have access to facilities and support wherever they are.
Examples of our physical health and well-being programmes include:
- Salford Community Leisure Exercise on Referral Scheme
- Active Tameside’s Live Active service
- Inspiring healthy lifestyles activity referral scheme
We are working with the Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership to improve regional access to these programmes. Our aim is to extend these programmes across the region so everyone can benefit from them.